Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Breaking the Two Century Milestone

For the past year and a bit I have been on a continuous quest to get healthier and rid myself of the stigma of diabetes. Because of my skepticism about the western medical system I have also gone out of my way to prove all of their "facts" about problems like diabetes wrong, and for the most part I have succeeded.

When I originally went to Dr. Forester he basically told me I would be stuck on medication for the rest of my life - a few quotes:

"You're not going to get out of this with some kind of special cook book, you know."

(After my refusal to take medication immediately) "This can have serious repercussions on your driver's license. If you were older I might feel obliged to report to the MVB that you were not controlling your blood sugar."

ME: "So is it type 1 or type 2?"
DR F: "Umm... I'd call it... type 1."
ME: "Even though I don't have any symptoms?"
DR F: "Well.. there are some who might call it type 2".
(For those who don't know, Types 1 and 2 are completely different disorders that share similar symptoms, although in all cases of type 1 the symptoms are acute and would result in death if not treated immediately with insulin injections. After diagnosing with Type 1 the Dr proceeded to prescribe metformin, which is a Type 2 medication and wouldn't do anything for type 1 except make it worse more than likely).

I wrestled for a long while about whether to take medication or not, but when I read this verse I knew what I needed to do :

"This is what the LORD says: Yours is an incurable bruise, a terrible wound. There is no one to help you or bind up your injury. You are beyond the help of any medicine. All your allies have left you and do not care about you anymore. I have wounded you cruelly, as though I were your enemy. For your sins are many, and your guilt is great. Why do you protest your punishment--this wound that has no cure? I have had to punish you because your sins are many and your guilt is great.

"But in that coming day, all who destroy you will be destroyed, and all your enemies will be sent into exile. Those who plunder you will be plundered, and those who attack you will be attacked. I will give you back your health and heal your wounds, says the LORD."
Jeremiah 30:12-17


This spoke to me because diabetes is considered an incurable disease, one that I knew resulted in my poor lifestyle. Dr. Nielsen explained to me that often people become diabetic overnight - the body reaches a point where it becomes over-stressed with too much weight and unhealth and just switches into diabetic mode. This prompted me to start thinking that if the body can switch INTO diabetic mode, why couldn't it switch OUT OF diabetic mode?

The major part in my journey to cure myself has been losing weight. Weight is almost always connected to Type 2 diabetes and holistic health resources will say that losing weight is the only known way of curing it.

At my heaviest I was around 280 pounds. No wonder my body couldn't hack it. I have since lost a lot of weight and I have seen my blood sugar reading all return to normal. I feel healthier and better than ever since I can remember.

The other day (Sunday, I believe), I hit a milestone. I stood on the scale and saw the number 199.5 . For the first time in my life since high school I am under 200 pounds.

Praise God!

2 comments:

Quigley said...

Atta boy Ry, so very proud of you! I think there is definitely a couple of things here.. First, God gave you wisdom about the body, and what it is meant to tolerate, and how it's to operate. Not only to help you out of the mud, but also to be able to "maintain" what you have "attained". Secondly, God has clearly rained grace upon you and brought you, through His divine healing, to where you are today - partly in conjunction with your change of habits.

I find it noteworthy, that this is the second time you have been healed of something that looked medically grim, and perhaps through all this there is a grand story which God is reading to you about yourself. Too amazing!! It only makes me wonder all the more (in discussions about the destiny each of us have) what lies ahead for you my friend, in the vastness of His kingdom!

Anonymous said...

Good job Daddie !! but now I have no soft place to snuggle on your tummy ....because you don't have one :(

Love tyggre, mew mew