Thursday, March 17, 2005

Lunch Money

Have you ever been faced with a seemingly mundane decision about a seemingly minor detail and made the choice to sacrifice something in favour of someone else(like your spouse), only to discover that in what you thought was an altruistic and selfless act actually ended up inconveniencing said other party?

Yeah that happened to me today when I was getting dressed for work and noticed that my wife (still sleeping) had put a $20 and about $2 in change on the dresser. I thought for a moment that it might be nice to have a $20 on hand but then decided to take the change instead (thinking that it would be nice to buy some coffee cream for work) and left the $20 for my wife in an effort to be selfless and make sure she was taken care of.

A little later I got a phone call from said wife, in a rather grouchy mood, asking for an explanation for why I stole her lunch money. "But I left you the 20!" I said. "That 20 wasn't mine, it was for work!" she replied. She then proceeded to complain about being hungry and having no money to buy lunch as I had also taken the opportunity to "steal" back my debit card that morning.

So I guess I can add "stealing lunch money" to my resume.

1 comment:

~WandererShe~ said...

you are SUCH a bully :(
did you stop by an elementary school and steal their lunches too? or stop by the animal shelter and kick some kittens ?
oh ryan....so mean......
but I get the original intent so thanks for that ...thief ;)