Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Can You Feel the Mountains Tremble?



Aha! I tricked you into thinking that this was some sort of esoteric post about something religious! Or maybe I didn't.. I just meant because the title is that of a popular praise song, which I have now shamelessly taken in for my own alterior agenda of destruction!! MUAHAHA!

No, actually it's not that either.. this is, in fact, a BASS-related post.. which is why the reference to mountains trembling is appropriate.. because THE MOUNTAINS ARE GOING TO BE TREMBLING REAL, REAL SOON, BABY, YEAH!

*Ahem*. Pardon moi, allow me to explain. I'm in a band, see, and I play bass. I think most of you knew all of that. Anyway, my big focus lately has been to buy a new bass amp, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I want something that really sounds GOOD, not just adequate, and something built for what I like. There are a few names that are synonymous with REALLY REALLY good bass amplification, my favourite of these being Gallien-Krueger, with Ampeg a close second. Not long ago I happened to become quite enamoured with the idea of buying a GK amp header on EBay, as the prices on there are quite a bit better than what you get here. I ended up buying a Gallien-Krueger Backline (their entry level, but from what I hear, this amp is really good) 600, which is a 300 Watt Amp, said to be VERY nice. Someday I'm sure I will upgrade to a 1001RB or something, but for smaller venues (clubs, etc) this is going to be GREAT! And, even after shipping and the exchange rate I still saved $100 over the local price.


Of course, a nice header is nothing without the cabinet (aka speakers) to go with it. You can amplify somethng till the cows come home, but without any speakers, no one is going to hear a dang thing. Thus, I made it clear to my family that what I really wanted to Christmas was purchasing power in form of monies or gift cards that would enable me to get a nice cabinet. And come through they did! I was looking for a particular Ampeg cabinet, but I couldn't find it anywhere, however I was able to get (well it is on order and I hope it will be in within a couple of days) this Gallien-Krueger 410SBX cabinet, which should match the head very nicely and by all reports sounds absolutely incredible. Needless to say, I am looking forward to pounding some air with this sucka!


All this to say one thing: if you feel the mountains trembling sometime in the next week or so, you now know why! Cheers!

1 comment:

Quigley said...

She's a beauty Ry!!! Not a bad post Christmas gift to oneself I do say!! :)