Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Camp Journal : Day Four (Part 1)

Energy: High
Relaxation: Good
Fingers: Rallying
Stings from unidentified insect type beast: 1
Number of hops: Several
Pots / Pans Washed: A babillion
Swings on the Zunga: 5 or 6

Another good day at camp - the heat was significantly lower today than in previous days and overall it was just a nice temperature all around. Sleep was about 2 million times better than previously experienced and I had a chance to have a good heart to heart with Benson. For those of you who don't know Benson, he's our drummer.

The kids are getting cuter by the day.. and some of them are getting more annoying by the day.. but mostly cuter. Especially the girls for some reason. The boys are sort of at that age when they are starting to get that competitive / mean thing coming out, which I guess most boys go through. I had to threaten one boy with being banned from the Zunga after I made the comment that Tristan (T-Man) gets the best air in camp, and the boy said it was because he is "humongous". Definately not cool.

Its funny I didn't notice it when I was that age, but its true what they say about girls being years ahead of boys in terms of emotional development. Most of them are quite easy to talk to and social, and also a lot braver than a lot of the boys. Its funny - we are having a name the band contest so that the campers can give us a name, so all day kids have been coming up to me with their band name submissions. Most of the names we've been getting are along the lines of "The Christian Rockers" or "God's rockers", but this one girl gave me the name I really hope we end up going with, because it was so bizarre and also hilarious. It was "Spicey Hot Fire Hydrants". I don't where she came up with it, but we all couldn't help but have a good chuckle about it.

I had a chance today to go to one of the cabins to help the kids with their memory verses, and the cabin leader asked me to help this boy named Roderick. He was having a really hard time with a verse was actually quite long for a 10 year old boy I would think. But within about 10 minutes I had him saying the whole thing, no problems. Then I asked him what his favourite thing was at camp and he said the Zunga, so I walked down to the Zunga with him and watched him take a swing.

Oh yeah, and today was my turn washing pots and pans in the kitchen. The head potwasher is a guy named Jim who is an old army buddy of Ron's, so Ron was warning me all day about Jim war flashbacks. His sage advice to me was to have one of the giant wooden mixing spoons ready to knock him on the head, should I see "that glint in his eyes". Fortunately that wasn't necessary :) It wasn't as bad as I had imagined it might be, though I literally felt as though I had just gotten out of the lake by how much I had been sweating in that big rubber apron. Fortunately, the first thing I did when I was done was to ... take a swing on the Zunga! There's really no better way to feel refreshed after a long shift of something like that.

Evening chapel was fun as well as we got to have it outside down by the water in their outside chapel. The sound was good down there and Ron kindly suggested that I crank the living crap out of my amp. Of course I happily obliged. Those kids sure love The Happy Song.

The majority of the rest of my evening has been spent trying to get askaninja.com to load (at Ben's request) - its a freakin hilarious site that I was introduced to today. I had a group of like 5 people (cabin leaders and other worker types) watching with me, but apparently the summer staff are downloading a movie, which makes the entire network slow and often inaccessible, which is also the cause of my lack of updates for most of the day.

Anyway, I'm going to save this now and hope the dag-gum thing works. Ciao!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids getting cuter by the day?
Remind me not to introduce you to a one Ms. Nancy Grace.
You christianists have never been known for you editing skills.

Michelle's Books said...

I am glad you are having a good time!! I loved church camp when I was a kid... and everyone knew that the music team were the coolest people there!

Anonymous said...

What's the deal with the lack of updates here Stringer? I’m a little disappointed. Hearing of this lovely lake-side getaway makes me want to sign up and get away